English - Sinhala Dictionary
DESCRIPTIONS for 'Stop'
- a brief stay in the course of a journey; "they made a Stopover to visit their friends"
- the act of Stopping something; "the third baseman made some remarkable Stops"; "his Stoppage of the flow resulted in a flood"
- an obstruction in a pipe or tube; "we had to call a plumber to clear out the blockage in the drainpipe"
- a restraint that checks the motion of something; "he used a book as a Stop to hold the door open"
- a mechanical device in a camera that controls size of aperture of the lens; "the new cameras adjust the diaphragm automatically"
- (music) a knob on an organ that is pulled to change the sound quality from the organ pipes; "the organist pulled out all the Stops"
- a punctuation mark (.) placed at the end of a declarative sentence to indicate a full Stop or after abbreviations; "in England they call a period a Stop"
- a consonant produced by Stopping the flow of air at some point and suddenly releasing it; "his Stop consonants are too aspirated"
- the event of something ending; "it came to a Stop at the bottom of the hill"
- a spot where something halts or pauses; "his next Stop is Atlanta"
- the state of inactivity following an interruption; "the negotiations were in arrest"; "held them in check"; "during the halt he got some lunch"; "the momentary stay enabled him to escape the blow"; "he spent the entire Stop in his seat"
- prevent completion; "Stop the project"; "break off the negociations"
- Stop and wait, as if awaiting further instructions or developments; "Hold on a moment!"
- hold back, as of a danger or an enemy; check the expansion or influence of; "Arrest the downward trend"; "Check the growth of communism in Sout East Asia"; "Contain the rebel movement"; "Turn back the tide of communism"
- seize on its way; "The fighter plane was ordered to intercept an aircraft that had entered the country''s airspace"
- render unsuitable for passage; "block the way"; "barricade the streets"; "Stop the busy road"
- cause to Stop; "Stop a car"; "Stop the thief"
- come to a halt, Stop moving; "the car Stopped"; "She Stopped in front of a store window"
- interrupt a trip; "we Stopped at Aunt Mary''s house"; "they Stopped for three days in Florence"
- Stop from happening or developing; "Block his election"; "Halt the process"
- have an end, in a temporal, spatial, or quantitative sense; either spatial or metaphorical; "the bronchioles terminate in a capillary bed"; "Your rights Stop where you infringe upon the rights of other"; "My property ends by the bushes"; "The symphony end
- put an end to a state or an activity; "Quit teasing your little brother"
'Stop' in other languages
Get definition of Stop, Get synonyms of Stop and translate.Stop in Tamil | Stop in English | Stop in Arabic | Stop in Dutch | Stop in French | Stop in German | Stop in Greek | Stop in Hindi | Stop in Italian | Stop in Japanese | Stop in Korean | Stop in Malay | Stop in Norwegian | Stop in Portuguese | Stop in Russian | Stop in Spanish | Stop in Swedish | Stop in Chinese | Stop in Indonesian | Stop in Urdu | Stop in Bengali | Stop in Thai |
Stop - English - Sinhala Online Dictionary. English-Sinhala-English Multilingual Dictionary. Translate From English into Sinhala. www.lankadictionary.com is a free service Sinhala Meaning of Stop from English.Special Thanks to all Sinhala Dictionarys including Malalasekara, Kapruka, MaduraOnline, Trilingualdictionary. Improve your language knowledge, education and move forward with www.lankadictionary.com.